One of the most popular gadgets for pet owners today is the Furbo Dog Camera. But, as a cat owner, you might be wondering: Can this device serve your feline friends as well? Let’s delve into the features of Furbo and see how it fares in the feline world.
Furbo isn’t just a simple pet camera. It’s packed with features that are designed to interact with and monitor pets when you’re not at home:
- Treat Tossing: This feature lets you dispense treats from the Furbo device remotely, which can be a fun way to interact with your pet from afar.
- Live Streaming: Furbo provides live video streaming in 1080p HD with a 160-degree wide-angle view, so you can keep an eye on your pet anytime, anywhere.
- Voice Interaction: Furbo has a built-in speaker and microphone, allowing you to hear what’s going on at home and talk to your pet.
- Barking Alert: Originally intended for dogs, this feature sends you a notification whenever it detects barking sounds.
Cats and Furbo
While Furbo was primarily designed with dogs in mind, many of its features can also benefit cat owners.
Treat Tossing: If your cat responds well to treats, this feature can be a great way to engage with them while you’re away. However, keep in mind that the tossing mechanism may startle more skittish cats.
Live Streaming: This feature is undoubtedly useful for all pet owners, not just those with dogs. You can check in on your feline friend during the day, and the night vision feature makes it easy to see them even in low light conditions.
Voice Interaction: Cats may not respond to voice commands as dogs do, but they can still find familiar voices comforting. The two-way audio can help soothe a stressed-out cat, or just let them know you’re “there” in some capacity.
Barking Alert: This feature is obviously less applicable to cats. However, some users have reported that it can sometimes be triggered by other loud noises.
Pros and Cons
- Interactivity: Even from afar, you can interact with your cats by tossing them treats and talking to them.
- Monitoring: The live streaming feature allows you to keep an eye on your cats throughout the day.
- Not Cat-Specific: As Furbo is designed primarily for dogs, some features may not be as effective or useful for cats.
- Price: Furbo is a bit pricey compared to some other pet cameras on the market.
Testimonials from Cat Owners
Many cat owners have found Furbo to be a valuable tool. Here are a few testimonials:
“My cats took to the Furbo pretty quickly. They love chasing after the treats, and it’s a relief to be able to check in on them during the day.” – Samantha, Furbo user
“The live streaming feature is great. I travel a lot for work, and Furbo gives me peace of mind knowing that I can check in on my cat whenever I need to.” – Alex, Furbo user
Can cats trigger the barking alert?
Yes, Furbo can occasionally be triggered by sounds other than barking, like a loud meow or a crash.
Is the treat tossing feature safe for cats?
Yes, but it’s essential to use appropriate treats and monitor how your cat reacts. Some cats might be scared by the sudden movement and noise, while others might find it engaging and fun.
Can the live streaming feature cause stress for cats?
Generally, no. The camera is unobtrusive and shouldn’t bother your cat. However, if your cat seems disturbed by it, you may want to reconsider its use.
Are there any alternatives better suited for cats?
While Furbo works well for many cat owners, if you’re looking for something more cat-specific, you might consider pet cameras like the Petcube Play 2, which includes a built-in laser toy for interactive play.
In conclusion, while Furbo isn’t designed specifically for cats, it can still be an effective tool for cat owners. Its features offer a unique way to interact with and monitor your feline friend when you’re not at home. However, as with any pet product, it’s important to consider your pet’s individual needs and personality when deciding whether Furbo is the right choice for you.